Dr. Miryam Z. Wahrman is author of the a top-selling book on hand hygiene, The Hand Book, Surviving in a Germ Filled World, available for purchase on Amazon.
The Corona virus, COVID-19, and many other diseases pose serious threats to human health and life. By adopting the simple and sensible behaviors explained in this book, it is possible to live healthier lives and protect yourself and your family.
In this meticulously-researched book, Wahrman discusses the microbes that live among us, both harmful and helpful. With chapters that conclude with handy reference lists, The HandBook: Surviving in a Germ-Filled World serves as a road map to safer hands and better hygiene and health. It is essential reading for the general public, healthcare professionals, educators, parents, business and office workers, community leaders, and politicians.
- The top ten simple solutions to better hand hygiene
- How to survive the Global Germ Age
- Germ-laden surfaces in public places
- The most important times to wash your hands with soap and water
- When to use wipes or alcohol-based hand rubs
- How to reduce your risk of infection as a patient
- When healthcare workers should perform hand hygiene
- How to use gloves properly
- Tips for staying healthy when you travel
- Keeping kids healthy: how to reduce risk of infection in the home
- The most important hygiene developments in human history
This book reveals what you can do to at home, in school, in the workplace, and while traveling, to reduce your risk of picking up and spreading deadly germs. The Hand Book: Surviving in a Germ-Filled World exposes how healthcare settings can be hazardous to patients, and how to stay away from deadly germs in the hospital, doctor's office, and long-term care facilities. Topics include: Proper hand washing, safest approaches to hand drying, use of hand sanitizer and protective gloves, and cleansing your environment. The history, religious and cultural roots of hygiene are explored, as is the way germs are carried and transmitted on environmental surfaces. Read in good health!
World Wide Press Coverage 2020
Prof. Miryam Wahrman has been providing insights and ideas related to COVID-19 to media, and, with articles being shared on multiple sites, coverage has extended around the world. She has been quoted in approximately 200 stories in publications and web sites in the US, UK, India, Australia, Colombia, Germany, Denmark, Spain, and Indonesia, among others, and on websites published in English, Spanish, Dutch, Malay, and Bengali, among others.
Media outlets have included Business Insider, Parents magazine and Parents.com, Yahoo, Health.com, and Travel & Leisure. Here are a few highlights:
- Insights about how COVID-19 affects adults and children differently reached a potential of 166 million readers via Yahoo at 160 million, Travel & Leisure at 2.4 million, Health at 2 million, and Parents at 1.6 million. The Facebook and Twitter posts about this story from Health.com, alone, were shared more than 4,600 times, resulting in more than 844,000 potential impressions. https://www.parents.com/health/coronavirus-doesnt-affect-children-as-severely-and-experts-have-no-idea-why/?y
- Dr. Wahrman discusses how to create your own hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes in Business Insider and its affiliates in India, Australia and the Netherlands, reaching a potential readership of more than 24 million. The article was shared on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest more than 9,000 times, resulting in at least 3.4 million impressions. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-how-to-make-hand-sanitizer-and-cleaning-wipes-2020-3
- A piece by Business Insider in which Dr. Wahrman discusses the spread of disease in gyms was picked up by Yahoo News, Business Insider Germany, Business Insider Australia, Business Insider India, and Pulse – an outlet in Nigeria. The combined total readership of these platforms is reported at 43.7 million. https://www.businessinsider.com/gyms-have-gone-virtual-in-response-to-coronavirus-shutdowns-2020-3
- Dr. Wahrman discussed the history of handwashing with The Guardian for an article picked up by MSN.com and Yahoo News UK, reaching a potential audience of 103.4 million. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/keep-it-clean-the-surprising-130-year-history-of-handwashing
Dr. Wahrman also is author of Brave New Judaism: When Science and Scripture Collide.
Click to read some of the articles in Dr. Wahrman's extensive archive of past articles.